Blogger is finally working! Sorry for the wait everyone.
Here are few thoughts about our final days in the hospital and our trip home.
On Wednesday morning, Crystal began to feel human again, human enough to see the boys. The nurses wheeled her in a wheelchair down to the nursery, where she and I enjoyed a few minutes with the boys.
Here are a few pictures of the boys in the nursery...
Hayden Hunter:
Zachary Hunter:
Proud Mom and Dad (and tired too):
We were not discharged from the hospital until Thursday because the hospital wanted to monitor Zachary and Hayden's blood sugar levels. During that time, we learned a lot from the nurses about some of what we would need to know once we got home. In hindsight, the information they gave us has been a life saver.
Thank heavens for the nursery in the hospital. They placed IVs in our boys to help regulate their blood sugar, rocked them while they ate, gave them their first baths, and watched over them while Mom was recovering from the Magnesium Sulfate. Crystal and I had a sinking feeling this would be the only reprieve in sight for a very long time so we needfully took advantage of it.
Crystal made her first attempts at breastfeeding in the hospital. I naively thought babies just automatically take to breastfeeding, but in the hospital I rapidly learned such things take A LOT of time and patience. Given their premature entry into this world, Zachary and Hayden (especially Hayden) are having a difficult time breastfeeding. Their mouths are so tiny! They try so hard and Crystal tries so hard, but it doesn't always work. When that happens, Crystal cries and feels like a failure. It's hard to watch. In truth, if it weren't for the compassionate nurses at Orem Community Hospital, who spent an inordinate amount of time coaching us, I'm certain we would have already switched to formula. Hopefully their breastfeeding skills will improve soon.
Like all things, there comes and end. At 2:08 P.M. on Thursday (November 5, 2009), we walked out of the hospital and into life. We entered as a couple and left as a family. We were smiling the entire way home. This is something we had hoped and prayed for and now it is real. Miraculous. Awesome. Overwhelming.
Here are some pictures of us leaving the hospital and arriving at home. Grandma Klingler took the time to create a welcome sign. Thanks Grandma.
We would like to thank everyone at Orem Community Hospital for their skilled and compassionate service. We would also like to thank Dr. Judd for being the world's best OB. We're certain he has magical powers. Two pushes and that's all it took to get those twins out! You tell me how that can happen without magic. I'd like to know.
Last but not least, we would like to thank Grandma Klingler and Grandma Romney for their support at the hospital. It was so nice to have both of you there.
11 comments:
You guys are so blessed! I'm glad that you were able to come home so quickly as a whole family. and I hope you are adjusting well to the craziness that involves twin infants. Good luck!
You got some great pictures of the boys! How precious! Hang in there Crystal, breastfeeding is definitely a journey but don't ever feel like a failure! We sure wish we could come hold those babies!
Congratulations again you guys. What a beautiful family!
When you get a chance, please email me your address - I have something I want to send to you. Everytime I see these boys I cry I'm so happy for you. Can you believe it's been 8 years since we first met? Lots of love sent your way. And hang in there for the breastfeeding - it can take a while but should get easier with time and as they get a little older. jhholdaway at gmail dot com
I cried over nursing tries too.
I love all the pictures. What a miracle birth is. As I drive past the FLSR each day I think of you guys, holding your babes. What joy!
Okay as far as the nursing goes...DON"T EVER FEEL LIKE A FAILURE! I know it is hard not to because there is so much pressure! Logan and I shed many tears over it. Remember you know your babies best and you ARE good parents for trying. Congrats and welcome home!
ok guys- you are gonna have to cough those boys up in a bit cause I need to hold them!! Crystal I got "M.A.G.'d to stop my labor with Ben- it is the most horrible stuff on the planet- I lost all my pregnancy weight gain in 24 hours and Ben was born 3 wks later so thin and he struggled for so long to learn how to eat and he didnt gain weight til 16wks when I had to give up and put him on formula- you did an AMAZING job with your labor and delivery- Brian its harder to watch than to do- congrats to you for getting them all here safetly- we love you guys!!
Congratulations! I love the pictures. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. Call if you need anything. :)
Yay for being home! I delivered my first baby, Braedon, at Orem Community too!! I loved them! Glad you guys are recovering and hope the little guys get the hang of things soon! Love ya!
The pics were worth the wait. Everyone looks so great. Can't wait to see more of the whole family.
Love,
Aunt Marilyn
That is WONDERFUL! This is Janna Martin, btw--Crystal and I were VT comps several years ago when I was at DT. So excited for you guys. The babies look wonderful. All the best to your family!
Post a Comment